Visiting America: UK Travellers And The ESTA Application Process

If you are a British citizen and you are thinking about going on holiday to the US, you are going to need to go through the ESTA application process. The ESTA – εστα – is the US’s visa waiver program that provides visitors with digital authorization to stay in the country for up to three months. This differs from a B-2 tourist visa, which allows people to stay in the US for up to six months. The ESTA application process is obviously a lot faster than the B-2 tourist visa application process and most people who have a UK passport will get their application approved.

If you are looking to get a job while you are staying the U.S., you will need to apply for a temporary work visa. Many gap year students opt to spend a year living and working in America, so they need to go through that application process. If you are visiting the US for temporary business purposes, the B-1 business visa is something you need to look into. You can find all of the requirements online.

Many people wrongly assume that all they will need to enter the US is a British passport, but this is not the case. The main reason lots of people think that is because they are used to travelling around all the countries in the EU with just their passport. In addition to getting prior authorization to enter the US via the ESTA process, UK residents also need to ensure they buy comprehensive travel medical insurance. Unlike in the UK where healthcare is free at the point of use, health care costs in America are very high. A trip to the hospital while you are on holiday could end up costing you thousands of dollars if you don’t have comprehensive medical travel insurance.